« Home | A manga editor was arrested for murder » | More about the 3rd issue of Champions, Love is Lov... » | J. Scott Campbell says he's going to miss Obama » | What are any creators saying about the Gerard Jone... » | Comics Bulletin turns to Trump-bashing, yet does a... » | If that's all these TV adaptations are about, they... » | New Delhi's manga library » | Devastating: Gerard Jones committed felonies simil... » | Ron Marz continues to rail against Chuck Dixon's i... » | Nick Spencer's still making Captain America bad, e... » 

Sunday, January 15, 2017 

Disney really is no longer allowing artists to draw the "slave Leia" outfit

A few weeks ago, Bleeding Cool revealed that J. Scott Campbell was right - under Disney/Lucasfilm, Marvel's no longer accepting illustrations of Leia Organa from Star Wars in the slave outfit, no matter how bravely she fought back against Jabba the Hut. According to Frank Cho, a submitted illustration he offered was rejected:
Frank tells me he was told that Lucasfilm/Disney were no longer allowing artists to draw Princess Leia in the slave outfit. The “Slave Leia” or “Hutt Killer” portrayal of the character of Princess Leia in Return Of The Jedi has certainly been a controversial one over the years, albeit a look popular among cosplayers.
Cho also noted this on his Facebook page:
As I stated before, the original Star Wars variant cover with Slave Leia was rejected by Lucasfilm/Disney. It was all around miscommunication. I wasn't aware of the Lucasfilm/Disney edict of no more "Slave Leia", and Lucasfilm/Disney wasn't aware that I didn't know of this general order.
Good grief. Despite the fact that the late Carrie Fisher decided later on that the outfit did bear significance due to how she fought back against Jabba, choking him to death with the chains, Disney decided otherwise and insulted her memory by rejecting all to do with the outfit. Yet they would accept a Han Solo drawing by Cho.

What does this tell us? That the Disney Corp. today is a slave themselves...to the will of politically correct SJWs who likely don't even watch the Star Wars movies or buy any of the merchandise. And that's the problem with corporations today - they're jelly-spined and don't have what it takes to stand up to anybody wishing to make a mockery out of their properties.

Labels: , , , , ,

From an Carrie Fisher interview wih the Wall Street Journal in 2015 regarding the proposal of banning the outfit:

WSJ: There’s been some debate recently about whether there should be no more merchandise with you in the “Return of the Jedi” bikini.

CF: I think that’s stupid.

WSJ: To stop making the merchandise?

CF: The father who flipped out about it, “What am I going to tell my kid about why she’s in that outfit?” Tell them that a giant slug captured me and forced me to wear that stupid outfit, and then I killed him because I didn’t like it. And then I took it off. Backstage.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.