« Home | Kyoto's manga contest offers help to artists from ... » | Yes, there's potential for kids comics out there, ... » | Joss Whedon's "feminist" credentials are in seriou... » | David Hine's political tweets for the UK elections » | 2 bad writer citations is just 2 too many » | Bendis is turning Defenders into yet another "stre... » | DC's Legends TV show is turning SJW » | Manga about museums » | The WW books that aren't recommendable » | Slott quarrels with another guy over Trump and the... » 

Monday, June 26, 2017 

Prestige format books are an ideal successor to pamphlets

Bleeding Cool has some news that, if there's something positive DC may be doing, it's publishing an upcoming storyline in the prestige format books that were starting to turn up in the late 1980s:
DC approached me and said, how would you like to take some of the stuff that you are working on with Sean and do it a new, prestige format? Instead of doing it monthly, why not do it in this format that would allow for it to be a bigger stage, both for Sean artistically, and to package the story in a new way and then allow every subsequent story that I was going to do with Paul Pope, with Afua Richardson, with Lee Bermejo, be done in this format that really foregrounds the art – different paper size, different cut, the whole thing?
Now I don't have a high opinion of Snyder. But if paperback format is the way they've decided to release projects like these and abandon the monthly approach - certainly for miniseries - that's the ideal way for comics to go in the future. Just the kind of approach I was thinking of myself, which is easier to sell in bookstores.

I won't be surprised if this All-Star Batman book he's working on turns out to be as pretentious as anything else they've published over the past decade. But if they're starting to change their approach to marketing and formatting, that's a significant step for this day and age, since it can ensure they'll be more accountable for story quality too.

Labels: , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.